Dyeing fabric

Since it began, Linda and I have had a stand at Festival of Quilts to sell our wares. Every year except this one! This time we'll be on the Through Our Hands exhibition stand instead and voted that it would just be too stressful to try to divide our time between both.



I must be having preparation withdrawal though because this week, in spite of having lots of other things on the to do list I couldn't help but get some vats of dyeing on the go. The weather's been scorching and here I am ironing in the heat! The results are worth it. I've dyed and over dyed lots of fabric I'd been saving and now I've got a lovely pile of cloth that coordinates and is ready for a new project.


As you can see from the buckets in the photo at the top, I've used a low water technique. I really like the marks that this creates on the fabric.


To achieve these very pronounced markings and hard edges I've put dry fabric into the dye. Not always recommended as you risk getting large areas of white, but this time it's paid off and all the pieces came out beautifully.



Even small scraps and off-cuts got thrown in and have come out in a much more useable state. I almost feel some patchwork coming on. I'm sure that feeling will wear off!


If you're enjoying pleasant weather where you live at the moment I hope you're able to take advantage of it and be creative too.

Bye for now,
Laura
x

Comments

  1. Oh I love the colours and textures you've created here. I don't know why I don'y dye my own fabric more often as it's so much nicer to use than bought fabric. I look forward to seeing you use these in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite dye method - it's amazing what beautiful patterns emerge when you iron the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to see more about dying on DMTV/eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I can see a wonderful underearth sort of fantasy creature in the first one! Holding a shield or a shining object.
    I love hand-dyes with hard edges like that because of the dragons and other creatures I can find in them! Sometimes I draw them out of the fabric with the machine - I suppose like a sculptor with stone.
    Sandy in Bracknell

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys really did a good job! The creativity in your work is truly amazing. Hand dyeing fabric is really an enjoyable way to spend time with your friends and family. What I love about dyeing is that it is an eco-friendly option for people who want to restore the color of their faded clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment