Handmade Wardrobe

There's loads of reasons for making your own clothes, not least for the fun of it. I'm quite hooked on making things at the moment, and to be honest, the sheen of buying clothes on the high street has really worn off for me. I'm much more excited by looking through patterns and fabrics and coming up with my own variations. Here are a few things I've made recently...


Despite her supermodel sulky pose, these trousers are always a hit. I've made them before Here and Here. (Look at how she's grown!). As it's winter, for this version I've lengthened the pattern to make them full length (the original is cropped), and I've added a jersey lining on the inside. That's the red and white stripe in the photo below. It makes the trousers super cosy and soft to wear. The outer fabric is printed denim. It's easy to make the lining with this trouser. I just make two trousers, pop one inside the other and treat them as a single layer. Instead of hemming the bottom edges I've bound them which makes finishing the double layer really easy.


I've done sewing for myself too. This is from the Merchant & Mills 'Dress Shirt' pattern. I know I look a complete twerp posing! 


This dress has a large lined yoke at the front and is a quick and easy make. It seems to come up large and is fairly shapeless, hence the belt in the photo above. This version is made in a very lightweight plaid cotton so it belts OK. If you like fitted, then this isn't the pattern for you. But that said, I've made two so far and worn them both loads. They are super comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the lack of pockets. I'm so used to having pockets that it really throws me this dress doesn't have them! If I sew it again I'll go down a size and add some simple in-seam pockets.


This version is in soft denim, but I think too bulky to wear a belt and cinch in the waist. I just wear this one loose. The back gathers into the yoke as you can see below.


Next up is a dress for Amelie. This one is the Pixie Dress from Violette Field Designs. Which I've made once before Here. It's a lovely pattern, although fabric hungry for the skirt section. I love how the bodice provides the opportunity to use a feature fabric.


I popped in some mini pom pom trim in the seam.


And added a hem band and more pom pom trim to the bottom of the skirt. The bodice and hem band is a printed denim. The skirt and sleeves is a soft chambray type fabric which has a bit of a crinkle  unless you iron it fiercely. (You'll notice I don't!). 


The back neck has a pretty bow tie. Already worn several times and the twirly skirt is a big hit.


And of course, can't go without an update on the socks...

now there are two!


Happy sewing!
Back soon,
Laura
xx


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, Yes I dyed my own yarn using acid dyes in the microwave too. I still have a couple of hanks left so I might try those and see how they knit up as socks. If I do, I'll be sure to post photos.

      Delete
    2. Hi Laura, I will look forward to seeing those. Sorry google seems to have duplicated my message and in trying to get rid of the duplicates have erased the original message...oh well!!!!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy seeing what you make Laura and I can't believe how grown up Amelie looks now, she is really owning that pose. I knit socks too, so pleased you have made some. Have you thought about dyeing your own knitting yarn? Great fun. I did it with acid dyes and a microwave method, then knitted socks and a scarf with the results. Best wishes for 2018 Jenny Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy seeing what you make Laura and I can't believe how grown up Amelie looks now, she is really owning that pose. I knit socks too, so pleased you have made some. Have you thought about dyeing your own knitting yarn? Great fun. I did it with acid dyes and a microwave method, then knitted socks and a scarf with the results. Best wishes for 2018 Jenny Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amelie's pose cracks me up. She does have the "look" for the runway. I always feel the years passing when I see friend's babes suddenly become mini versions of their parents. One friend's grand daughter is off to art school and it seems like yesterday that I sent her an art box with crayons and finger paints. Your dress is lovely. I'd get out the seam ripper and add some pockets. I have the habit of always having my hands and a hanky or two in my pockets. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time is scarily flying by! I'm loathed to get the seam ripper out but pockets will be a must-have for the next one. Thanks so much for stopping by the blog and commenting x

      Delete
  5. Goodness how Amelie has grown, it only seems like last October when we spoke about your trip to spain (I think it was) just before she made her early appearance. Clothes are lovely by the way, I've just got my mojo back - she has had a very extended vacation! - so I'll be back to dressmaking soon. Best wishes Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Jan 2015 my NY resolution was not to buy any new clothes - just to make my own or buy charity shop and up-cycle. I thought I'd probably last for a month or two - but I lasted the whole year. And actually, since then I have only bought a handful of ready made clothes - I got out of the habit of clothes shopping and just have no interest in it now.
    I DO have quite a serious fabric habit now though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment